Sunday 8 November 2015

Some Experiments on Sound

Here are some experiments on possibilities to use electronic sounds. I gathered pieces of equipment  that we used in several projects where non-convential sound (i.e. front of stage loudspeakers) was needed. Namely: 1) Super Tooth Disc04 (used in early stages of Cidades Invisíveis); 2) Altec-Lansing IMT227 (used in Opus 7 and BBPP); 3) Super Tooth DiscoTwin (used in Babelim); 4) Fonestar Vibration Loudspeakers (TDO15 and TDO25) (used in Pianoscópio and Babelim). I fed them with audio from BBPP coming from a mp3 player.


I was particularly interested in the idea of  portable sound sources that would allow "moving the sound around" (this would mean the possibility of reconfiguring the distribution of sound in space as well as playing with movement both for the body and the sound source. I was also interested in the idea of "feeling the sound", i.e.. tactile feed-back in addition to auditory. I started by using some very basic solutions, stereo foam eggs and balls in which I placed the Altec Lansing loud speaker. 

The sound suffers a lot (in volume and quality) but I think it is possible to find a solution that would preserve it. It is really nice to move to sound around to share it with others and above all to feel it (there is a lot of vibration). There are many possibilities to improve the volume and quality, either working with this type of material or with other. And off course the aspect can be whatever we want (see for example last image of a ball covered with the flocking technique). I believe that Super Tooths (both) would also produce interesting results but I did not have big enough eggs or spheres to put them inside. But only working with sound being fed via the audio input, not via bluetooth. My experience with bluetooth in several artistic projects tells me not to do it here, particularly if moving around. The vibration loudspeakers don´t work either (I was really keen about this since they are particularly effective in making the sterofoam to vibrate) and even if we would make solid balls or eggs rather than empty as it was the case, we would always have the problem of "shaking" and "turning upside-down" (I might have damaged the TDO25 in a later experiment which I describe)



I also experimented with an aluminium campanula from Babelim (I simply placed the Altec Lansing inside). I works really well both as an object to hold and move around and as a sound source. In fact the sound its louder and I dare to say better. Again, this might not be the right aspect as far as the finishing and material is concerned, but ut would not be very difficult to find good alternatives. The shape of the object, however, might be a bit self referencial.


 The experiments with vibrating loudspeakers are a bit difficult to interpret. I´ve using them in projects like Pianoscópio and Babelim with excellent results but in those circumstances they are placed on the harmonic board of pianos. The idea of having a sound-irradiating-floor is something that I started to think about well before the ZYG project was conceived (last image is an early sketch for an immersive space that I started to imagine after an experience of sound massage in pitagoric table). So, I tried hard stereo foam and some thin wood planks as well as wood boxes. The sound results are a bit disappointing (gets better with boxes) but the vibration with the stereo foam is great. It reminds me the experiments we did at CdM when we were working with deaf people but with much better results, I think. Feeling the vibrations in the body is great but I might have damaged the TDO25 while exploring the possibilities. Definitely they don´t like to be moved around. It could, however yield good results in the floor. It would always involve many wires.



7 comments:

  1. As you know, we have worked with portable sound, also in Toddlers room. The children can carry the sound around. I would love that we work with sound in balls or other objects. We could also consider the dancer to wear sound, we have done this in several pieces and it can create fantastic experiences for the audience. I leave it up to Nils to go on answering you, but I must say that I love your research in text and photos- Siri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Can you let us know about the pieces with dancers wearing sound?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting experiments! I have done some similar experiments through the time. I have not worked with vibration speakers, and I have also avoided the Bluetooth technology in performances. Our solutions have always ended up being variations over the same theme (due to cost effectiveness and rock solidness); namely, mp3-players connected to small speakers (like the altec lansing ones).

    In Trio in sound http://www.dybwikdans.no/prosjekter/prosjekt/32 the three dancers wore sound under their dresses. I got some battery powered computer speakers and mp3 players, made a belt that was hanging quite low, with the actual speakers hanging below the dancers bottoms. This way it was not visible by the spectators. The sound was ok ("good enough"). It restricted the dancers movements somehow, but it gave a nice idea, that the dancers were moving around the city - with their own soundscape, a soundscape that shifted and changed depending on where you as the spectator were situated.

    In this piece - Angels walking in urban space - http://www.dybwikdans.no/prosjekter/prosjekt/22 - I hid a big chargeable loudspeaker under the dress of the main dancer. I played the main score through this speaker. On top of this, many of the dancers wore small batterypowered speakers and mp3 players taped around their legs with sound that expanded and commented on the main score.

    This piece - Spaceless identity - http://www.dybwikdans.no/prosjekter/prosjekt/44 - gave different possibilities because of the design of the dress. I put a tight elastic band with 4 Altec Lansing speakers (same as yours) round the dancers waist, one speaker at the front, one at each hip, one at the back. Also one little pouch carrying the mp3-player. This was quite successfull. You could hear the sound very well when the dancer approached, the design of the dress hid the speakers very well, and it didn´t restrict her movement at all.

    In this piece I tried yet a different variation. http://www.dybwikdans.no/prosjekter/prosjekt/54. I was reaching for louder sound output and richer sound, and went for a Bose loudspeaker. I went for a belt, again, this time with a long pouch carrying the speaker, the bottom of the pouch velcroed around one of the dancers legs - around knee height. This sounded good, but wouldnt let the dancer go into extreme movements - which in this piece wasn´t a problem.

    This piece was different: http://www.dybwikdans.no/prosjekter/prosjekt/120 - The audience was limited to 8 per performance, so they wore headsets and mp3 players.

    For our next work, I am toying of the idea of going about wearing sound in a different way. I want to sprinkle small speakers (maybe around 2 inches in diameter) throughout the dancers dress. Maybe 20 or more small speakers, attach the actual speakers to the dress itself, without any resonator box around them. Naturally they would have to play sounds that are quite high in frequency. The dancer would have to wear a small battery powered amplification system and a mp3 player - or even better, a wireless receiver (which would give the sound technician the possibility to control what sounds came out - and when.

    If you want to, I can try to find images and the belts and post them when I come home from tour, if not, I can make illustrations or take som pictures of the equipment I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas! I looked at the links at I can understand what you are describing, there is no need to find images of the belts, unless you feel like. I am particularly curious, though, about what you describe in your "next work", the idea of sprinkling 20 small speakers into a dress. How will they be connected to the mp3 player? What do you mean by wireless receiver, a receiver in each loudspeaker?

      Delete
  4. Thanks:) To make the "sound dress" I will need help from people that has more knowledge within the technical field. I know what I want, but I am not good enough at watts, ohms, soldering and so on. But I have found the resource centre I need that can provide me with the technical solutions - http://www.notam02.no/web/. What I have in mind is this: Say I have 20 small speakers. I attach them to the dress. I connect thin audio cables to the speakers, then fix this cable on the inside of the dress, and connect the cables to a small batterypowered amplifier that is attached probably in the backside of the dress. 10 small speakers connected to the Left output, 10 speakers connected to the Right output (the effect of this depends on placement of the speakers - we can have the speakers on the dancers torso play one sound and the speakers in the skirt play another sound, or we can distribute them evenly around just to have som variation in the sound image). The battery powered amplifier needs a sound input, this can be a regular mp3 player. Or, if you want more control over the sounds, you can connect a wireless receiver (the type used for in-ear monitoring). This way any sound can be sent to the dress - it might be a musician playing, it can be the sound-engineer triggering different sounds on ques.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, got it! It sounds very exciting.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete